[Xastir-dev] More Map Questions/Suggestions !

James A Vincent g1pvz at gmx.net
Sat Mar 20 11:37:11 EST 2004

Curt,

Thanks for all your help I have "expanded" a little on my questions.  Your ozi2geo script appears to work with the "ozi" maps I have.  If I find any probs I'll let you know - thanks for writing the script !

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:19:10 -0800 (PST)
"Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, James A Vincent wrote:
>
> > 1.  It would be a really useful if the lat/long of the cursor
> > position could be "copied" (ie same as middle mouse click) through
> > a right mouse click.
> > This would allow maps to be downloaded with third -party
> > applications like the really useful geo-map
> > <http://geo.rkkda.com/>
>
> Give me more details about what you are after.  I'm not clear on
> exactly what operations you want yet.  Are you talking about
> clicking on a point, putting that point's coordinates into the
> "copy" buffer, then being able to use the Unix "paste" function to
> paste that into another app?

Yes, that is exactly what I want. It would be ideal if the LAT/LONG format matched that selected for the Xastir Co-ordiate system.

> > 2.Is there a way of "fixing" the map zoom level when using pixmaps
> > such as jpgs.  Here in the UK there is little digtal mapping
> > available and most of it is pixmap based. Zooming provides no
> > extra detail. Ideally a right click for a pre-defined (or
> > adaptable) fixed zoom level could be provded so that maps are
> > displayed at their optimum size. Perhaps the size function of
> > ImageMagick would help ?
>
> Two ideas:  You can set up min/max zoom levels for any particular
> map, so that map won't appear except where it looks good.
>
> You can enable "MAP_SCALE_CHECK" in maps.c, which is something that
> Chris Bell wrote.  It attempts to only show raster images at scales
> where they look good.

I'll try these sugestions. One problem is to select the zoom level. Would it be possible to select a zoom level directly rather than having to zoom in +/- 10% increments on a right mouse click.  It always seems to display zoom levels which are not what I want !

> > 3.Could sombody help with the shapefile map dbfawk for esri maps
> > of Europe. I have recently discovered them and they do provide
> > maps of the UK which include labels for Cities and Towns but I
> > cannot fathom out how to get the labels displayed ! (I have read
> > the readme but I don't understand!)
>
> I think you already received or are receiving help on that one.

 Yes- Tom Russo has been very helpful.  I still haven't managed to discover the relationship between the colour=x and the colour displayed.  Is there a list of colours and their numerical value ?

> > 4. Could we choose whether we use Imperial or SI on a per unit
> > basis ? I think in terms of Celcius For temperatures, Knots for
> > wind speed, Miles (statute) for road distances but millimetres for
> > rainfall.  It probably is because I'm English - we buy petrol in
> > litres but work out fuel consumption in miles per Imperial (not
> > US) gallons !
>
> That's more difficult, as it involves changing a bunch of things in
> the GUI to support it, creating a bunch more togglebuttons, and
> saving/restoring their state in the config file.  I think the amount
> of work to do it outweighs the slight benefits that we could derive
> from it.
>
> So the U.S. just won't go metric, and you guys are somewhere in the
> middle?

Fair comment. Sometimes we British don't realise/accept that we are Europeans !