[Xastir-dev] several unrelated ideas

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Thu Mar 25 13:26:01 EST 2004

This is more for after the next release, but I'm thinking now.

1) you may have noticed a macspeech.c appeared yesterday. It's not well
tested and isn't ready for deployment. Particularly, it blocks. I'm going
to have to use pthreads, a producer and a consumer, presumably, before
this works well enough to deploy. Before I go forward with that, I'm
wondering if I should be doing it this way or making a simple daemon and
making the xastir code open a socket to it and send text.

2) Dan Egnor wrote an open source (GPL) geocoder for the Google
programming contest in 2002. http://cvs.ofb.net/geocoder/

I'm willing to attempt to integrate it if people think it would be useful
(but it uses Census data, at the moment, so lacking sources of data that
could be used elsewhere, if you're outside the U.S. it won't help) but...
you enter an address, it finds coordinates, and then what? There's no
object set defined for this sort of thing, is there?