[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 29 19:24:18 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> It's the whole U.S., distilled from the Census data, which is something
> like 3gb zipped, right?
>
> Nothing precludes us from splitting by state and having the dialog take a
> directory and knowing to look for state files in there.
>
> I did that the first time I used the geocoder (on my previous laptop)

Looks like we need someone to write another split script, or perhaps
just to split these files up and make them available individually
for download.  The format for the downloaded file is not text, so
perhaps it has fixed-length records or a special terminating
sequence for each record?

In case some of you haven't noticed yet, Xastir can now find a
street address and center the map at/near that location.  This new
feature should be available via the anon CVS server sometime later
today.  You see some new files show up when you do a "cvs update".
Thanks Derrick!

Now... What kind of GUI functionality do we want?  Perhaps make a
big line with an arrow from the current location to the found
address, so that you can drive to it?  Give me some ideas here!