[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 30 14:34:09 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Jeff Barlow wrote:

> Garmin's MetroGuide does not do a simple shortest path thing. It seems
> to try to put you on main roads for most of the trip. It will take you a
> little ways the 'wrong' way to get you on a freeway. Their database must
> contain that info.

So does ours... :-)

The Shapefile maps have information in them telling you how many
lanes the road is, whether it is one/two-way, and what the speed
limit is on the road.

> I suspect the best approach to this sort of thing involves very careful
> design of the structure of the data files. One needs to be able to ask
> questions like: "Where's the nearest main road?" and not have to do a 15
> minute file search to get the answer.

We can certainly keep adding features to it once we get the base
routing going, so that we could ask for the fastest or the shortest,
and perhaps tweak some parameters based on individual preferences.