[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 30 16:57:23 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I would agree.  I think automotive autorouting is much more like a Djikstra
> problem than a PCB problem.  However, there's lots of open-source OSPF code.
> :-)

I thought about this some more:  PCB auto-routing usually is set to
snap to a grid.  Those grid points are what the program tries to
optimize, trying to hit each one in sequence but to optimize to set
rules, usually the rules are something like:

    1) Go mostly vertically on layer X
    2) Route mostly horizontally on layer Y
    3) Stay ZZ distance away from other traces/vias
    4) Stay on the regular grid points
    5) Go the shortest route while meeting the above requirements

Except for the difference in optimizations, the PCB auto-routing
isn't that much different.