[Xastir-dev] radar image suggestion

Gerry Creager n5jxs gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Oct 5 11:08:34 EDT 2004

Er... gif files are not compressed within the format, although the LZW
algorithm is incorporated in the coding.  jpeg images may (and I
usually) incorporate compression... but it's lossy compression.  PNGs
are supposed to incorporate lossless compression in their format; I'm
taking them at their word.  TIFFs are not compressed within their encoding.

Of note, gzipping the tiff reduces its bulk 97+% but it's STILL larger,
gzip'd, than the jpeg or gif images...

What I'm thinking is that we need to try to go to a PNG format (which
I'm already creating routinely) to save some 35% of the size of the GIFs.

Simply changing USrad.geo to usr the png file instead of the gif file
will accomplish this.

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020
FAX:  979.847.8578 Pager:  979.228.0173