[Xastir-dev] Another case of high load

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sun Sep 5 14:39:04 EDT 2004

Hello,

I was looking into the problem why my cygwin PC crashed 2 times while
running Xastir and noticed that there is constant network activity when I
run Xastir. I looked in Windows XP's task manager and see a constant 60%
CPU load. When I look at the processes I see 3 major contributers:

vsmon - this is part of the ZoneAlarm firewall
lsass - Window's Local Security Authority Service
System - Windows Kernel

So it all IP network traffic. When I deny access to the network in
ZoneAlarm I see that Xastir tries to connect to port 1314 over and over;
this is Festival.

I recompliled Xastir without Festival support but it doesn't make a
difference. Obviously Xastir does not try to connect to Festival anymore,
but now Xastir tries to connect to some another ports for some reason. I've
seen ports 3517, 3588, 3990, 4419 etc. I have no idea why, when I deny
access in the Firewall Xastir does keep running so it doesn't seem to be
needed in order to function.

After I deny Xastir network access the CPU load is gone. ZoneAlarm only
shows network activity when something needs to be displayed. It looks like
the threads that make IP connections need to be slowed down using yet
another micro-sleep or a more clever implementation.

By the way, Xaster's version number says 1.4.0, does this mean it is
released now?

Kind regards,

Henk.