[Xastir-dev] Long Term CPU

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 19 13:08:06 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Jerry Chamberlin wrote:

> there is a small leak somewhere, after about 30 days up time it used all the
> memory and my swap went into overload.
>
> restart of xastir cleared it, It used all availible memory making my pine and
> other programs go to swap. It had sat for a week running as the displayed
> program.
>
> Actually the operation was normal, do the hash tables stay in memory or swap
> out. I had not noticed this earlier, but then I never was able to keep it up
> long enough to notice without some other issue making a bigger issue.
>
> It grew over time. Are old lerts being purged and memory released?
> I only have 128K real memory. Redhat 7.1

Let's collect the relevant details first:
   RedHat 7.1
   128k physical memory
   CVS Xastir?
   What server/filtering are you using?
   TNC only?
   Tracking anyone?
   What sorts of maps, local, internet?
   WX Alerts being displayed?
   What options are compiled into your Xastir?  rtree?  dbfawk?

FWIW:  I run my long-running Xastir copy connected to Firenet with a
filter that only snags wx alerts, object, and items.  I did have it
running with telemetry and messages coming in as well.  I believe
the messages cause the memory image to grow, but slowly.  Without
messages/telemetry, it is growing much more slowly (might be stable
now, I'll find out tuesday).  I was up over 100 days before a power
outage took the system down.

As far as I can tell, WX Alerts and object/item/posits don't have
any leaks.  Messages do, but it's a small one (probably old stuff
not getting purged properly).

The best way to figure it out is to eliminate various options one by
one until you have a good idea which element is causing it.  It
could even be different versions of some libraries that you have
compiled in which have memory leaks.

Another way to figure it out is listed at the bottom of INSTALL, a
memory-leak detector.  It'll use a lot more memory while running,
but will notify via messages to the xterm as it detects leaks.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer