[Xastir-dev] Long Term CPU

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 19 16:18:22 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:31:52AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> > > Heh.  128K Linux box.  Takes ya back, it does.  Typo, I hope.
> >
> > What I'm running here typing this message on.  PP200 with 128k
> > physical.  Reliable as all getout.
>
> 128 *K*?  Really?

Of course when you highlight that particular character I see my
mistake...

> in 1991 my first PC running BSD was a
> 386 with 8MB.

Ok, here we go again:  My first Linux computer was a 386SX-20 with
2MB RAM.  Was about 1991 also I think.

What's scary is that on the TAPR DSP list they were mentioning the
RCA Cosmac 1802 processor that flew on most or all of the amateur
satellites...  Was my first processor I played with, in about 1977.
I still have a working 1802 board here, which I constructed from
individual chips when I was in high school.  It's how I learned to
program initially:  Hand-assembled code, loaded in via 8 toggle
switches (binary).  Memory was in two chips, each 256x4 bits, giving
me 1/4k of memory.  Had a lot of fun with that!  Doubtful I could
port Xastir to it though...  Map memory might be a bit tight.  hi hi

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer