[Xastir-dev] Adding coordinate formats to Xastir

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Jan 1 04:36:26 EST 2005

Hi,

I was toying with the idea of adding support for the Finnish coordinate
systems to Xastir. There are a few of them, some UTM-like with
parameters differing from UTM and two datums (we are just beginning the
change from a national system to the ETRS89/EUREF system that is close
to WGS-84). I have all the formulas and transformation parameters needed
for the translations to/from WGS-84, but I'm not sure what would be the
best place to put them.

I see several ellipsoids and datums defined in datum.c/h, but they don't
seem to be used that much. Is there some kind of a ready-thought
"process" or something to go through if one wanted to add (display)
support for some other coordinate system?

Maybe just adding these systems to the coordinate calculator would be a
good start. Especially if there could be a coordinate calculator button
in the station info-box, so when you pressed that button you would get
the location of that particular station converted to other coordinate
systems without having to type in the coordinates manually or without
changing the Xastir coordinate system from file->configure.

Any thoughts?

   Tapio