[Xastir-dev] Adding coordinate formats to Xastir

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Jan 1 18:34:50 EST 2005

Curt Mills wrote:
> If you wanted to add support for datum conversions into the
> coordinate calculator, I wouldn't be at all hurt.  I think that'd be
> great.

I imagine there would have to be some configurabitily on the displayed
coordinate systems as well. An average Xastir user probably is not that
interested in always seeing about four Finland-specific coordinate
systems on the calculator :) Let alone tens or hundreds of other formats
if/when other national systems are added.

I was wondering whether autodetecting the additional coordinate systems
to display in the coordinate calculator based on the location of the
station would work. I.e. if you had an object within a certain lat/long
box (Finland), you would show Finnish coordinate systems in addition to
the global systems. When you moved to Sweden, you would see Swedish
national coordinates in addition to the global ones. Automatically
detecting these could be hairy though.. at least near the borders you
would probably have to display national formats of both sides. Letting
the user select which formats he wants to see might be clearer.

Anyway easy coordinate conversions would be nice for SAR, where air
units use WGS-84 geographical coordinates and ground crews usually use
national grid systems (the KKJs) and you need to be able to convert
between them. And I guess in the future we will also see a variant of
UTM (ETRS-TM35FIN) added to the mix..

> I've long thought it would also be good to allow use of the
> coordinate calculator and free-form coordinate input anywhere in the
> Xastir code where a coordinate is called for.  In fact that's on the
> feature request list.

A calculator for output (=received/displayed) coordinates would be nice
as well.

   Tapio