[Xastir-dev] Thought for the day: Consider it a feature request...

Gerry Creager n5jxs gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Jan 5 23:43:12 EST 2005

Oh, they're real enough.  I'm already exporting Texas stuff for the WMS,
and I should have WFS shortly.  The softwware I'm running will support
it; I have to configure the 'map file' to support WFS.

There are several WMS servers out there.  ESRI now supports WMS as
client on ArcView, so does Mapinfo.  Others on the way.

Look at the standard output from http://mesonet.tamu.edu/svr-wx.html and
you'll find a page that will always givve you the State and County
outlines, the NWS major roads file, radar and Warning polygons.

Now: For WMS it's a pretty picture, but think of that as one way to
deliver radar to a specific area, where, in defining the .geo file, you
use as the URL, the specific request format to get the area
correspondinig to the .geo's corner registration points.  Did I mention
having the image datum-transformed if necessary via spec, or reprojected?

I'm just thinking it'd be a neat way to get some of these options from
the Mesonet site (radar? Satellite (coming soon)? streamlines?).

I've got some of the radar stuff going to openioos.org already on a
regular basis.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020