[Xastir-dev] Weather alert county labels

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jan 12 21:04:50 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 06:07:01PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <gevaryah at netaxs.com> flavor, containing:
> This is a strange bug I've just noticed: The first time we draw the
> weather alert counties for a specific view, we draw them with just
> shades, no labels. However if I wait about a minute, they redraw with
> the county labels.

I had never noticed this before, but now that I look for it I do see what
you see.  Since I usually run with the county shapefiles symlinked elsewhere
with a different dbfawk (to display their outlines and names even when no
alerts) I would never have seen it..

> I don't know which behavior is better (I like the labels myself), but we
> should at least be consistant.

I like it with labels, too.

> Is this a bug in the county files, the dbfawk code, the rtree code, the
> weather alert code, or what? I certainly don't want to track this one
> down. :-P

I would be very, very surprised if it were in rtree, because when there's
a weather alert the rtree code is bypassed (you don't need to find a list
of all shapes enclosed in the current region, you already know which one
to display).  But it could be in dbfawk or elsewhere.  The dbfawk files for
the alerts do set the "name" variable, but perhaps it gets clobbered or
the label drawing stuff later on is misled into skipping the label until a
refresh.

I will try looking for it, but it might be a few days before I can do
any in-depth debugging.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."