[Xastir-dev] message bugs?

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Mon Jan 24 15:39:22 EST 2005

Hi,
	I spent the weekend camping in th mountains, and as passenger
/ navigator I got to play a lot with xastir while bumping along.  (I
was operating under the call KG6HEA-1, the driver's call.)  It is
really nice to not be driving so I can actually see what is going on
without pulling over.

I noticed a few problems with the updated messaging code.  (I was
trying to send to "EMAIL".)

1. If I leave the PATH box blank, I am not sure WHAT it uses... the
view-incoming-data window claims it is sending with the path of
"TCPIP*", and I never saw a digipeat.  Now that I am back home, I can
sit in the driveway and see what is actually being sent.  By looking
at the code, it looks like it should be using the igate-to-RF path set
in the interface, (which I had blank).

I did change the path box to read "wide2-2", and it picked it up
immediately (even though the view window still reports "TCPIP*") and
got a digi, and the ack, and confirmation OK message.

2. When using the EMAIL service, the ack and the OK message come from
WU2Z, and not from "EMAIL", so we never clear the outgoing message.
[This has been a problem forever.]  Fortunately, we now have the
cancel button so we can kill it.  Should we match up the ack with the
counter we sent out, ignoring the to/from calls, and not care that we
might be getting spoofed [intentionally or otherwise] ?  I would hate
to add a special case that "EMAIL" ignores the returning from
call... but otherwise we never stop txing.

And speaking of the view-incoming window...

The view-incoming data window also reports that I am transmitting my
dozen or so objects/items that I have (basically waypoints) at random
times (one or two at a time), also with the supposed path of "TCPIP*",
even though I have the global interface/disable-tx-objects-items
selected.

It does not show anything when I transmit a posit... I only know when
I get a digipeat back.  It would be nice to know how often I am
sending stuff out, and via which of the configured paths, (I have
wide2-2 and relay,wide set) so I have a better understanding of what
is working and what is not.

I am looking into several other issues I was having on my own.

Chris.
KD6ZWR
cbell at junknet.com