[Xastir-dev] ALOHA circle display (and calculation)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 8 00:06:08 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 06:36:21AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <gerry.creager at TAMU.EDU> flavor, containing:
> PLEASE tell me there's a way to turn that off?!

Curt committed a map-menu option to turn off display of ALOHA circles this
afternoon.

Computation of the aloha radius cannot be turned off --- it once occurs every
half hour.  If there is no TNC connected, this amounts to xastir taking
a single walk through the linked list of station data once every half hour for
no reason --- if there's an easy way for the database code to know that there
is no RF interface, calling the function that does the computation could
be conditionalized.  But at a rate of once every half hour, it didn't seem
worth the bother.  And to disable the computation if the display is turned
off would screw things up when the display is turned back on.

Curt and I discussed whether we should part company with Bob Bruninga regarding
user control of ALOHA display (Bob says it should always be displayed), and
the compromise is that it can be turned off, but the disabling is not saved
in the configuration file.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster