[Xastir-dev] Version 1.5.1

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon May 9 22:53:36 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 07:34:31PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <nielsen at oz.net> flavor, containing:
> This is strange--I did a CVS update, than ran ./configure and it
> reported as version 1.4.2.  I then did 'make clean' and it reran
> configure but this time it said 1.5.1.  What happened?

When you updated and ./configured, you hadn't rebuilt configure from
configure.ac with automake/autoconf.  So it still had 1.4.2 in there.

When you did your make and it ran configure for you, it ran
aclocal/automake/autoconf for you first, and picked up the new version number.

The version number is set in configure.ac, and doesn't make it to the
Makefiles until configure is rebuilt first.

When you update xastir from CVS, if any of the autotool input has changed
you should run bootstrap.sh first.  autotool input includes acinclude.m4,
configure.ac, and all of the Makefile.am's

A safe thing to do every time you cvs update is to run bootstrap.sh.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster