[Xastir-dev] a readable version of the latest official APRS spec?

Alan Crosswell n2ygk at weca.org
Tue May 24 21:38:24 EDT 2005

Sorry for the off-topic post but I felt this group might be more
appropriate to ask this question of:  I'm trying to figure out how to
make aprsdigi (aprsdigi.sourceforge.net) do whatever the fix14439.html
document of Bob's says.  I must say, frankly, as usual with Bob's
documentation, it is very long and tends to ramble in a manner that
makes it difficult to read.  In fact, right now, on my slow inkjet
printer, it's even difficult to print:-)  I found reading the official
APRS Protocol Specification at www.tapr.org to be much more useful when
developing aprsdigi.  However, there seems to be no update to that spec
despite the fact that Bob's web pages claim the working group voted on a
1.1 spec a year ago.  Did the TAPR coordination of this die?

I do not have the time to read the mailing lists lately and am just
trying to keep my code current.  Who knows, one day I may even ask Bob
to include it in the list of digipeaters.  Aprsdigi is in use at a small
number of sites (many of which I set up:-) in the greater NYC area and
there have been a few others who've donwloaded it and I'd like to make
sure it is correct.  For example, what the heck does WIDE2-1 mean in
fix14439?  I aways though the first digit was the original value of the
digipeat count and the second is of course the SSID which gets counted
down to zero.  So WIDE4-4, WIDE2-2, etc. would make sense as an initial
value.  Now I see this WIDE2-1.  My brain hurts.

/a