[Xastir-dev] Standards: FHS, FSSTD, FSSTND, LSB

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 16 15:25:54 EDT 2006

Anyone familiar with the linux filesystem standards and directory
heirarchy standards?

A question has been brought up w.r.t. the Xastir manpage and where
it should reside.

Looking at FHS-2.3 it appears that "/usr/local/man" is the proper
place, as we're doing now.

If an install prefix is specified to configure though, such as
"/usr", then we should be installing to "/usr/share/man" instead of
"/usr/man"?

I also see that "/usr/local/share/man" and "/usr/local/man" are
supposed to be one and the same, meaning one should be a symlink to
the other.  On my SuSE system that isn't the case.

What is _THE_ standard we should be going by?  The FHS?  FSSTD?
FSSTND?

For LSB compliance we may need to change things around a bit from
default, but we have spec files and a configure-time parameter to
use to trigger off of in that case.

What I'm interested in are the standard places we should install to,
both for the default and for when an install prefix is specified.

Looking here:  <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html>
it appears that the FSSTND/FSSTD was renamed to the FHS when they
widened the scope of it from Linux to general Unix systems.  Down
near the end of the document in the section:  "Background of the
FHS".