[Xastir-dev] Expedia-maps?

Andreas Bier adi at burg-halle.de
Tue Jan 16 02:34:20 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm currently working to include expedia-maps into xastir because the tigermaps
and the other one which are perfect for the US and Canada doesn't availible for
old Europa and especially Germany ;-(
It was really easy to change the map_tiger.c for accessing the expedia-maps, but
now I have the following problem:
To get an expedia-map.gif you must have the center lat and lon and an altitude,
f.e.:

...agent.dll?qscr=mrdt&ID=xxxx&CenP=51.444,12.333&Lang=EUR0809&Alti=10&Size=800,600&...

(Please refer to http://on2bbp.byze.be/projects/aprs-maps-online.php for further
information)

where "CenP" of course ist the center-position of the requested map and Alti may
be the height over the ground. The problem is that "Alti" only accepts
integer-values. You can calculate an altitude as a factor relatively easy from
the variables NW_corner_longitude and/or SE_corner_longitude but then you may
get an altitude of 10.3423 and the gif you get back from expedia is scaled for
Alti=10 or 11 so the positions of stations which are away from the center aren't
correct.
Now I'm looking for a solution to change the zoom-level when accessing an
expedia-map because you have to "recalculate" the NW-edge and SE-edge of the
.gif you got back from expedia. Of course, it can be that I have a wrong idea
for this solution because I'm not familiar in xastir-programming and C at all.
Is there a chance to change the zoom in map_tiger.c or???

If you want to test ist please conduct the following steps and you will see what
I mean:

1st) rename your own tiger_map.c in your /src-directory
2nd) download my tiger_map.c from http://www.dl1hrc.de/map_tiger.c and save it
in the /src-directory
3rd) type make and make install
4th) select and add tiger-maps from map-menu (select tigermap.geo)

Don`t worry, there are only very marginal changes. I think the lack of good
scalable maps is one of the big problems especially here in Germany and to solve
this problem may offer xastir to a larger circle of ham-radio-amateurs.

Have fun with xastir...
vy 73 de Adi, DL1HRC