[Xastir-dev] gpsman/gpsmanshp

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 6 16:53:20 EDT 2007

I just realized (or perhaps just realized again), that gpsmanshp.so
isn't checked for in configure.ac.  We only check for GPSMan and
report it's status.

Since gpsmanshp.so is used by GPSMan, and not directly by Xastir,
does it make sense to try to check for it and report the status?

I tracked the "Station Info" -> "Store Track" option all the way to
map_shp.c:create_map_from_trail() which doesn't use the gpsmanshp
library, only Shapelib calls.

With GPSMan + gpsmanshp.so support, we can do these options:

    Interface -> Fetch GPS Track
    Interface -> Fetch GPS Routes
    Interface -> Fetch GPS Waypoints
    Interface -> Fetch Garmin RINO Waypoints

These four use GPSMan/gpsmanshp.so to fetch the data from the GPS
and turn it into a Shapefile map.  Xastir then reads in the map.

Comments on how we should do the gpsmanshp.so check are appreciated.

Perhaps we should code around the use of this library and just
check for GPSMan, or perhaps "gpsbabel", then create our own
Shapefiles out of the data?