[Xastir-dev] Manpage location.

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Tue Jul 10 07:38:13 EDT 2007

Hi Curt,

I've struck a problem with the man page on the FreeBSD port.

According to cvs,
Revision 1.38 of Makefile.am updated at
Wed Nov 15 16:45:58 2006 UTC (7 months, 3 weeks ago) by we7u

and the comment was
---------------------
Changing the man page directory from $prefix/man to $prefix/share/man, per
FHS-2.3 and LSB-3.1
---------------------

actually $prefix/man *is* FHS 2.3 (and thus LSB) compliant. The only
note about "$prefix/share/man" in the FHS PDF is;

---------------------
4.9. /usr/local/share
The requirements for the contents of this directory are the same as /usr/share. The only additional constraint
is that /usr/local/share/man and /usr/local/man directories must be synonomous (usually this means
that one of them must be a symbolic link).

Well on FreeBSD there is no /usr/local/share/man and no symbolic link but there is a /usr/local/man.
Also for some reason the "--mandir=" override in configure doesn't work!

So, would it be possible to get the manpage moved back to $prefix/man
please?  Any FHS compliant distros should have the symlink so it shouldn't matter.

Thanks,

Carl.