[Xastir-dev] ImageMagick causing trouble again...

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 8 13:26:03 EST 2007

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> Unfortunately, Jack's hack only shuts up make warnings, it does not actually
> preserve the contents of the macro for our usage.   I tried it by copying
> what he did to PACKAGE_BUGREPORT and so forth, and it resulted in compiler
> errors.

I tried that too the other night and gave up 'cuz it wasn't working
for me.  I didn't have "quiet" time available to look into it
further so asked for help.

> The trick, I found, is to create a char * variable in main.c for each
> of the purposes, and then initialize them to PACKAGE and VERSION before
> including magick's api.h, then undef them.  This gets rid of the compiler
> warning about redefining the macros, and doesn't involve recursive macro
> substitution that breaks our usage (as the "Stupid ImageMagick" hack does.

What a pain.  Good fix though.

> The problem is that magick's api.h includes their config.h, which is a Bad Thing
> that will interfere with *any* code that uses an autoheader-generated config.h
> and includes api.h.

I don't think I'm on their mailing list anymore...  I haven't seen
anything in a while.  Somebody should probably lambast them on there
for doing such an idiotic thing.

Thanks for fixing it!  I compiled your changes in last night on the
home machine and it's back to normal again.