[Xastir-dev] Re: [Xastir] Is traffic encryption possible?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Thu Nov 15 15:58:51 EST 2007

Curt wrote:
> What about NAD83?  I know that's very close to WGS84, but that's
> only for NA right?  If someone on the other side of the world was
> reporting NAD83 datum then the error between it and WGS84 could be
> significant, right?  Is NAD83 available world-wide?  Could I be in
> Japan or Europe and have a Garmin or Magellan GPS read out my
> position in NAD83?

I guess nothing is stopping you from using a datum outside its intended
area, at least when one is talking about geographic coordinates and not
plane coordinates. Do note that Bob's spec has designated datum byte N
to mean NAD27, not 83. I didn't see a byte allocated for NAD83 in Bob's
documentation.

   Tapio