[Xastir-dev] Tactical Callsigns

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 29 15:11:38 EDT 2008

FWIW:  These fit in the current 19-character tactical callsign:

     I'm a little teapot
     I feel pretty       # Anyone an "Anger Management" fan?

It's kind of nice to see those displayed next to somebody _else's_
icon anyway...

I don't see a reason to limit it to 19 characters.  I can think of
reasons to have it be much longer, like posting telemetry/status
kinds of things and having them be instantly and plainly visible
during an event or mission.

How'z about we bump up MAX_TACTICAL_CALL from 20 to 58?

Reasoning:  67 is the max you can send in an APRS message so you
could theoretically set you own station's tactical call to a 67 char
long string.  For setting tactical calls for others you'd be limited
to 67 - callsign+ssid - '=' char), or about 57 chars.  I suppose we
should just make the limit be 58, huh?  (string plus '\0'
termination char).

A max tactical string length of 57 would always fit in one APRS
message when put into the tactical string definition format:

callsign-ssid=string
   6     1 2  1  57 (total 67 with 6-char callsign)

Of course if APRS+SA defined a limit that is lower we'll have to see
what it does with a longer string.

Several TAC callsign definitions could fit in one APRS message if
you use shorter TAC callsigns, up to 67 chars per message (without
breaking up a TAC call definition across message boundaries).

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer