[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 14 18:56:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> It's time.  I've been doing some thinking about Xastir-NG.  Several
> main things need be decided before coding can begin.  This topic is
> one of them:
>

>     What platforms would we _like_ to support?
>
>     What platforms _can_ we support?

Let's go another direction with this, as I've seen very few replies
to this topic so far.  I figured I'd get quite a few of "please add
this device to the list" sort of responses.  Oh well.

Rather than naming specific devices, perhaps it'd be easier to pick
a language that will support a large set of devices.  At least it
might result in more responses!

I'd prefer to stick with OO (Object-oriented) as well as compiled
languages.  I do not wish to require proprietary compilers on any
platform:  This lets the largest possible set of people contribute
to the project.

Here are a few candidates:

    *) Java (Java SE and Java ME)
    *) C++
    *) Python
    *) Ruby
    *) ??

Are there platforms we wish to support that some languages above
will _NOT_ work on?

At the moment I'm interested solely in the Xastir Daemon end of
things.  The GUI clients can be written in entirely different
languages:  In fact we can write one reference implementation of
each, then others can duplicate the clients in other languages if
they wish.

Developers:  Let's hear from you!  Am I on the right track?  What do
you want to work with/work on?  I'm trying to keep things very
general so far so that we can get some concensus.  Even if you don't
have time for coding right now, a few words one way or the other can
make a big difference.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer