[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jun 14 21:23:31 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 04:29:17PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:56:35PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> > >
> > > Here are a few candidates:
> > >
> > >     *) Java (Java SE and Java ME)
> > >     *) C++
> > >     *) Python
> > >     *) Ruby
> > >     *) ??
> > >

> > I vote C++, and making sure we provide Python and Ruby bindings for the
> > C++ API.  I can't stand java and have no interest in working with it.
>
> Are there C++ compilers for the Windows platforms that are free?
> Other platforms?

GCC is available on windows, and MicroSchlock Visual C++ Express is free.

> BTW:  We _could_ use Java for the daemon to get extreme
> cross-platform compatibility plus the data persistence layer, but
> use C++ (or something else, or lots of something elses) for the GUI
> clients which connect to it.
>
> You have a lot of knowledge and interest in mapping:  Would the GUI
> Mapping Client keep your interest?
>
> Would Java for only the daemon be a deal-breaker for you?

Probably would be.  That would make Xastir the only reason to install
Java on my systems --- I've basically canned it after briefly trying to
use various java based products like ArcExplorer and toys like PCgen (an
RPG (Role Playing Game) aid).  I don't even have java installed on my primary
system.

I'd rather see the daemon written in something else, and maybe some GUI version
in Java for those who want it.

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson