[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 14 23:05:01 EDT 2008

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Tom Russo wrote:

> Yep.  Class and method definitions, possibly more detailed code.  Some
> tools advertise "round-trip engineering" where you're supposed to be
> able to generate code from the UML, hack it, then pull it back in and
> be able to manipulate it at the UML level.  Never seen it work properly
> even in very pricey tools.

Rgr.  I believe my buddy has talked about such things with the same
conclusions.

> We did at work.  The initial design was very heavy on the UML and design tools,
> but that was dropped very, very soon after the first prototype.

I believe the Java project that's been such a success for us at work
started out with such a design.  The software architect for that has
long since moved on so I can't get the benefit of his experience.

So far I haven't seen anyone disagree with an OO design.  That's the
precursor to any coding or language selection, so how do we get
started on this thing?  I'll hunt down UML tools for Eclipse and get
them installed on a few machines, plus find some books.

BTW:  It's appropriate that we discuss this on the -dev list instead
of the main list.  If we go back and forth with discussions on the
main list a bunch of users may unsubscribe due to the extra
activity.  Also, we avoid input from users with only a passing
interest in the design who just want their feature requests added.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer