[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Jun 14 23:38:23 EDT 2008

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Tom Russo wrote:
>
>> Been working on a $2M/year OO software product for about 8 years.  Not an
>> expert, but I have some OO design background.
>
> I have a buddy that I work with that has some OO experience and
> books, so I'll see what I can learn.
>

>> Well, there's bouml, argouml, eclipse...
>
> Eclipse I know.  I'm using it for J2EE and GWT work right now.  Have
> it installed at work and at home.  I haven't gotten into UML before,
> but there must be plugins for Eclipse.  Once the model is done in
> UML, can some of the initial code be auto-generated?

I believe Oxygen will help here.  And there's a free version.  Dia can
support UML diagrams and I believe Eclipse can read 'em.  Natively.

>> I've not had a lot of confidence in the design tools past the initial
>> design process.  They try to be things you can use throughout the life-cycle,
>> but mostly they're a hassle.
>
> I've heard that a lot of people do it that way, abandon the design
> tools after the initial coding is done.

Been my experience although I'm working remotely with a guy who won't
give up on 'em.  I keep looking for some sort of breakthrough in what he
does and it's just not there.
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983