[Xastir-dev] Topic: Data Persistence, Xastir-NG

Magne Mæhre magne at samfundet.no
Sun Jun 15 07:33:57 EDT 2008

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with persistence mechanisms,
> particularly cross-platform?
>
> We need a persistence mechanism that will support as many of the
> chosen platforms as possible.  It also must allow us to swap the
> back-end database among several alternatives, running on everything
> from handhelds to servers.

It's probably the memory/disk footprint that will limit our options
here.   Some options are:

   * Berkeley DB  --  Non-SQL, owned by Oracle, has its own license,
     but compatible with GPL.   Small footprint.  Available for a lot
     of platforms.  Bindings for several prog.lang

   * SQLite --  A trimmed-down SQL database.  In the Public Domain.
     Small footprint.  Available for (from memory) Solaris, Linux, OSX,
     MS Windows, HP/UX..   IIRC, it's fairly easy to build on all POSIX
     platforms. BIndings for several prog.langs

   * Apache Derby/JavaDB -- A "full" SQL database.  Apache license.
     Footprint is from 2MB->.  Java only.  Works on all/most J2ME
     devices. JDBC driver interface.  Can be both client/server and
     embedded.

   * HSQLDB -- Fairly good SQL support, BSD license.. Don't know much
     about footprint.

--Magne / LA1BFA