[Xastir-dev] Xastir-NG: map support

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 15 12:05:38 EDT 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Gerry Creager wrote:

> The GDAL/ORG tools work nicely for vector -> postGIS management.  They also
> offer some help for rasters although getting a good raster into a postGIS db
> isn't that good an idea.  Better a good vector MAP, then a georeferenced
> raster with the geo data maintained in the db.

Yea, vectors into the database, processed once from their original
format, then they all look alike to Xastir from then on.

> I'm currently thinking GM over IM, since IM has been a moving target since the
> dawn of time.

My preference would be to dump both and find a library to do a bare
minimum of formats (perhaps only PNG?) then get the sources merged
in with Xastir code.  Other formats could be converted and put it
into one of the few that Xastir supports.  This method would give us
fewer problems over time plus more cross-platform compatibility.

We've had SO much trouble with some of the larger libraries,
particularly IM but also GM to some extent.  We've had trouble on
and off with others as well:  OpenMotif/ LessTif/ libcurl/ wget/
libtiff/ libgeotiff.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer