[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 15 12:29:14 EDT 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> Java, Ruby, Python, et al, seem to me to be rather heavy in terms of
> system requirements good performance.  Is this true?  My knee-jerk
> reaction is that the smaller devices (handhelds, old 486 computers,
> etc) would be strained by the resource requirements for such a system.

I think Java ME is designed to support smaller devices.  Java SE and
Java EE are definitely for larger machines.

> The (limited, anecdotal) experience I have with applications
> implemented in these languages make me think they'd run faster if
> written in C/C++.

There are native-code compilers for Java that compile down to each
machines assembly.  Instead of byte-codes and a run-time
interpreter, you have native-code.

For the extreme small end, like 68HC11's, PIC's, AVR's, etc, I've
seen it stated time and time again that writing code in C++ is
foolhardy as the library size will kill you.  In that case C is the
way to go.  Not that this size of processor is anything like what
we'll be targeting with Xastir!  hi hi

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer