[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 15 13:22:35 EDT 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Magne Mæhre wrote:

> So, lets find a language and environment which is productive,
> maintainable, and with good available libraries.

Note that the language used for the daemon & persistence layer (no
GUI) doesn't have to be the same as the Xastir-NG clients (GUI).  In
fact each _type_ of client could be written in a different language.

We'll most likely write a "reference" set of clients.  People can
rewrite them using other languages/widget sets as they see fit to
port them to new OS'es.  Minimizing the need for these rewrites
would be a good thing too (as in pick widget sets that are
cross-platform), but we don't want to keep people from rewriting if
needed for any platform.  We can't assure quality for additional
ports but that's what the free marketplace is good for, right?
Those that work will get used.

Picking the appropriate language and libraries for the daemon and
persistence layer is the most important.  It needs to be extremely
portable, plus it's the hub of the entire system and has to be
dependable.  Add to that the annoyance of maintaining multiple
versions of this piece through the years...  The "main" focus should
be on _one_ port for the daemon (which runs on all supported
platforms) and on the reference clients.

Just my opinion.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer