[Xastir-dev] Xastir Requirements Capture

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 17 00:44:18 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:03:06PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> >  Requirements are not Feature Requests.
>
> Good point.
>
> Along those lines, where does multiple client support fall?  Do we/you
> (you the developers, not necessarily you Tom) decide which platforms
> to put on the list as requirements, or do we restrict it to a single
> platform to get the ball rolling?

I see that I misread this (you referred to "single platform" and I
misinterpreted "multiple client" --- I read "single platform" as in
"linux" vs. "Mac" vs. losedows).

Since you were referring to the idea that there might be multiple GUI versions
(KDE vs. Gnome vs. Qt vs. some embedded thing) I was thinking of that in my
requirement of "Map display and core data interchange/storage code properly
encapsulated for maintainability, extensibility, flexibility."  I was
thinking that this allowed either the client/server model that's been
assumed for some time, or the framework model I had mentioned (e.g.
a core class library that provides all the connection to databases, data
sources, and packet protocol decoding, that is used by application codes
to create specific interfaces to those classes).  It would specifically
rule out doing things like hardwiring Motif toolkit calls throughout the
core APRS classes.  Perhaps I should have said "UI and core data
interchange/storage..." instead of "Map display..."

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson