[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 18 09:54:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:55:59PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > I downloaded ArgoUML on my laptop (which turns out to still have a java-vm
> > installed) and it worked fine.  I'm willing to toy around with it until
> > somebody else expresses a strong preference for something else.  I took a look
> > at Eclipse and it just seemed too much to deal with (again, unless somebody
> > expresses a strong preference and makes it seem like the best choice).
>
> Ok.  I tried the Java Web Start version, but it didn't have C++
> support, so I downloaded/installed the tarball and made an alias to
> start it up.  Works FB.
>
> ArgoUML does UML 1.4.  Do we need UML 2.0 support?  It's much more
> complicated.

I can't see any reason for it.

> Once we get a reasonable initial stab at the requirements capture,
> we go on to UML?

I'd say a good next step is to start enumerating use cases and coming up
with UML use case diagrams.  Perhaps additional requirements might dawn on
us during that process.

At that point, it'll probably be time to start making class diagrams and
others.

> If we find major things we forgot we add them to the list, then
> easily add them to UML without having to backtrack much?
>
> After that we _should_ be able to generate the framework in C+++
> directly from the UML.  Any more steps involved?

Plenty, but let's burn those bridges when we come to them.

Also, perhaps we want to look over the "Open Unified Process" to see if it
suites our needs and sensibilities.  RUP (Rational Unified Process) is
certainly too much.

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson