[Xastir-dev] possible xastir software engineering course project

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Aug 20 09:35:09 EDT 2009

Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> I know there have been discussions of desirable V2 features, but if it
> has been formalized I haven't seen it.
>
> My expectations were that the students would likely fork xastir,
> rather than submit actual changes against 1.9.latest.  If things work
> out exceedingly well, this fork could be the basis for V2.
>
> Depending on the desires of the students, simply porting the current
> version of xastir to use Qt as the GUI base may be doable.
>
> I know that a GIS-enabled RDB is mentioned frequently, but I
> personally have doubts about requiring a full-up RDB installation as
> part of a basic xastir install.  Are there GIS extensions for, eg,
> sqlite?  hmm, google says there is: http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite/
>
> I brought up the subject with the profs in the spring.  I didn't
> realize it was being considered until I found myself with 48 (now 24)
> hours to put together a description. |:

:-)  Last summer, I found myself teaching our senior level OS class,
with 24 hours to prepare, a copy of the slides (thankfully electronic),
and no book.  I got the book late in the first week of classes.  I was
relieved to see I'd not taught anything currently considered to be
"wrong" nowadays.  Several years back, I had proposed a formal geodesy
class. I didn't hear anything 'til about now, and had 48 hours for
syllabus preparation.  Don't you love how their planning can make a
jumble of YOUR week?