[Xastir-dev] Server to server gating?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 1 14:16:24 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:14:20AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>
> > OK, so server to server gating is not a good idea without lots of
> > thought beforehand, and I bluntly don't have time for lots of thought
> > before i get requirements nailed down, so we will stick to rf ->
> > server and server -> rf modes of gating only.
> >
> > My problem now is testing this, because they do not have a requirement
> > to implement an RF interface (due to unknown variables with RS232
> > interfacing).  There's no real way to test gating, and it doesn't make
> > any sense, if multiple server ports are all you are required to
> > implement.
> >
> > thoughts on that?
>
> When I was playing with OpenTrac protocol I recall connecting Xastir
> to a pseudo port and then reading/writing that port.  You should be
> able to do the same and connect a testing script or a dumb terminal
> to that pseudo port for testing, thereby skipping the real
> hardware/serial port/TNC.

Or talk serial KISS over the PTY, and connect the other end of the PTY to
a net2kiss instance on a linux box with kernel AX.25 networking.  This could
be done across a lan using SOCAT to serve the PTY from the linux box to a
non-linux box.  Icky, but avoids low-level frobbing with serial ports.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation