[Xastir-dev] Server to server gating?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:06:52 EST 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> FYI, so far their only hard requirement for an interface is server
> (multiple instances), because of the unknowns with qtserial.  a serial
> TNC is a desired (and worth more credit), and I figure not too bad to
> parse since most anything that can parse an APRS-IS stream can parse
> the output of a typical cmd-mode TNC.

Remember that there's the AEA format, the TAPR-2 format, and others
that are usually similar to TAPR-2 but perhaps with fewer commands
or just slightly different.  Then there are those that mark the
asterisk on each callsign slot in the path that's used, and those
that only mark the last one used (I'm talking serial command-mode
representation, not the binary header which is a fixed format).
Then there's WA8DED firmware which some software can make use of for
computer control nicely.

I'm not suggesting that the students be subjected to this level of
complexity, but remember it's there and that somebody has to take
care of it sooner or later.

I'd actually consider KISS-only interfaces for the first round,
adding command-mode stuff later.