[Xastir-dev] interface igate config?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 10:26:54 EST 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> How would you envision that implementation?  not overloading the RF
> channel gated to is the trick.
>
> I'm wondering if a rate throttle (e.g. packets/min, bps, etc) would be
> useful on any gating to RF?  A graduated/exponential type throttle? (1
> packet per second over 5 seconds, 10 packets per minute over a minute,
> etc)?  random thoughts from an uncaffeinated brain...

A rate throttle would be the best implementation, but I was hesitant
to ask for that as that opens up another can of worms.  Best to
think of APRS in that case as something that spews a lot of
near-identical data, which can be decimated to get down to the rate
you want to send across to the other side.

If you have multiple stations sending data though, how to do the
decimation fairly is a trick.  It would be a pain to have to keep a
queue for each sender and decimate each queue by the same percentage
during each time period, but that may be the most fair.  Perhaps
keeping a separate "last-gated" timestamp for each station might be
the easiest, then allow each station through once each time period,
time period to be adjusted based on how much of the channel you want
to leave empty and the number of stations and types of packets
you're gating.  Messages/ack's/nak's should be exempt from this
decimation and allowed right through.

Is that close to what you're thinking?