[Xastir-dev] differences between postGIS and postgres?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:27:13 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Paul J. Morris <mole at morris.net> wrote:

>  For
> example, with spatial data you can easily ask what are the stations
> (points) that occur within this county (arbitrary polygon)?

now that's pretty slick.

> For a schema, I'd suggest starting with scripts/db_gis_mysql.sql or
> scripts/db_gis_postgis.sql for compatibility with the existing
> implementation, then I'd suggest considering implementing the APRSWorld
> schema (which would allow Xastir and an APRSWorld deployment to run
> over the same databse).

Thanks for the pointers; I will give these a look.

The initial plan is to require a timestamp an interface identifier,
and the raw packet as minimal fields.  It is expected the teams will
choose to add other fields (lat/lon, station type, etc) as
implementation details.

-Jason
kg4wsv