[Xastir-dev] differences between postGIS and postgres?

Kristian Walsh listreader at byteform.com
Tue Jan 26 14:00:12 EST 2010

On 25 Jan 2010, at 22:22, Paul J. Morris wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:58:35 -0800
> Brad Douglas <rez at touchofmadness.com> wrote:
>> I'm still waiting for a persuasive argument for using a full-blown
>> database for Xastir when SQLite will suffice if used properly.
>
> As a persistence layer, SQLite will do fine.  To use Xastir with GIS
> applications, it helps a lot for the persistence layer to be
> spatially enabled, thus PostGIS or MySQL.

A quick hunt revealed a GIS extension for SQLite called Spatialite.

	http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite/

As a a persistence layer, you can't beat SQLite. It's so easy to exchange the DBs between users (for training exercises: make a new DB before the exercise, record into it during the operations, and then send it to other groups for debrief/training).

I agree there are performance issues when sharing an SQLite DB.
--
Kristian