[Xastir-dev] Proposal to clean up some warnings

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 13:42:52 EDT 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Jerry Dunmire wrote:

> While working on the OSM patch I noticed that the compile produces a
> lot of warnings and I would like to try and reduce the number a bit.
>
> The first one I would like to tackle is:
>   warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments

> Does anyone have a problem with this change?

Yea, me.  I spent a lot of time adding all the xastir_snprintf()
stuff a while back to make Xastir much more bulletproof.  There are
hundreds of those calls that were changed at the time.

I'm not seeing _any_ compiler warnings such as you describe when I
do a "make clean;make".  What I do see are these, seen when
compiling on a 64-bit machine:

     warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

and a small number of these:

     suggest braces around empty body in ‘do’ statement

which are caused by the compiler being stupid.

I suspect what you're seeing are dependent on your particular
compiler and it's default flags, along with the CFLAGS that Xastir
uses.  In my case I'm compiling on OpenSuSE-11.1 or 11.2, 64-bit
x86.  I have a couple of machines still that run 32-bit, similar OS.