[Xastir-dev] [Xastir-checkins] CVS: xastir OSM_template, NONE, 1.1

Magne Mæhre magne at samfundet.no
Tue Jun 29 16:04:35 EDT 2010

On 06/29/2010 03:37 PM, Paul J. Morris wrote:
> Seeing the CC-BY-SA license reference in this file (referring to the
> OSM data) makes me wonder if there's a requirement in here for xastir
> to be able to pass on this metadata element to users, so that if they
> include an OSM layer, a screenshot might be affected by the CC-BY-SA
> terms.  In the US at least (where the data sources that folks are using
> for xastir are mostly (or entirely) in the public domain, this sounds
> like a new question.

OSM has a legal page at  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ ,
which includes some suggestions on how to attribute

I haven't had the chance to test your code yet, but if you put
something like
   "(c) OpenStreetMap (and) contributors, CC-BY-SA"
in a corner of the visible map, you're in the clear.

If you distribute  tiles pre-generated by Tiles at home or Mapnik,
you should include the CC-BY-SA license file in the xastir
distro (maybe in the tiles directory)

--Magne / LA1BFA
(OSM contributor)