[Xastir-dev] patch for pkglibdir is not a legitimate directory for SCRIPTS error

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 4 19:08:08 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 08:50:35PM +1100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <carl at stagecraft.cx> flavor, containing:
> Hi,
> I've just struck the pkglib is not a legitimate directory for SCRIPTS problem with automake 1.12.

Yes, it was apparently a misusage that just squeaked through older versions
of automake, and they tightened up the error reporting/detection in 1.12.

_SCRIPTS can only take "bin," "sbin," "libexec," or "pkgdata" now.  It was
never intended to take pkglib, but it was not prevented until the more recent
releases.

Thanks for finding that.

> I've got a patch for it which has the side effect of moving the scripts directory from /usr/local/lib/xastir/ to /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/.

> I personally prefer the new directory as it's easier to find than something buried in local/lib however there may be some reason I'm not aware of for it's current location.

I always disliked the /usr/local/lib/xastir location for scripts, as none of
those things are actually libraries.

> The patch might be attached, and I've uploaded it to the bug/patch tracker at Sourceforge at;

The patch was stripped.

> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3484305&group_id=45562&atid=443273

I have applied this patch in CVS.

I added "dist_" to "scripts_DATA" because the original intent (as evidenced
by the EXTRA_DIST you removed in the patch, was that the scripts would be
included in .tar.gz files generated from "make dist".  scripts_DATA will
cause the indicated scripts to be installed, but won't include them in the
distribution tarball.  Adding a "dist_" prefix makes that happen.

This change in behavior (installing scripts in /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts
instead of /usr/local/lib/xastir) needs to be documented.  I've updated
README.Getting-Started and README.MAPS to remove references to
/usr/local/lib/xastir and replace them with /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts.

We'll need to announce the change in behavior to the user list.  I'll do that
now.