[Xastir-dev] Proj4 projects.h removed in 4.8

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 15 10:01:55 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 06:55:25PM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <carl at stagecraft.cx> flavor, containing:
> Evening All,
> The latest Proj4 release, 4.8 doesn't install projects.h anymore thus breaking the Xastir build if configured for gdal.
>
> It looks like projects.h is required to make a workaround for GTIFProj4FromLatLong() from libgeotiff work if gdal (and thus proj4) is installed.  Is there a function name clash?
>
> The simplest fix is to not configure Xastir for gdal as long as you don't want those particular map types. (From the README, USGS SDTS, MapInfo, Tiger/Line Raw, Microstation DGN and S57).

> Is anyone else looking at this?  Is anyone using these map types?

I was not looking at it, and while I do not use gdal types in Xastir (they
don't actually work), I do have gdal installed for many other GIS codes and
so it always gets built into Xastir by default.  This needs to be fixed.

FreeBSD's 4.8 proj install forces an install of projects.h as a post-install
step.  This was done because it was causing breakage elsewhere, apparently.

I do not follow proj's development mailing list --- this issue surely must
break lots of other projects, since including projects.h used to be the
correct way to get at a lot of proj.4's utility functions, and there
are still some functions like "dmstor" that are only declared in
projects.h.  Now it appears that "proj_api.h" is the intended high-level
include, so it may be that Xastir's use of proj.4 can be changed to use
proj_api.h instead.  In fact, a quick look at it suggests that that will work
Just Fine for Xastir.  Could you check that replacing "projects.h" with
"proj_api.h" works fine?  I won't have time to test until later this week, so
if you can try that out it would speed the process.