[Xastir-dev] Releases on github vs. releases on SourceForge

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jul 11 08:25:37 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 09:57:24AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mole at morris.net> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 13:48:29 -0600
> Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> > Github doesn't work like this.  A release on github is just a tagged
> > state of the git repo, and when you ask to download it, it bundles up
> > that SHA-1 into a tarball/zipfile/whatever.  You can't have it be a
> > processed version of the sources, like sourceforge does.
>
> Actually, you can.
>
> Releases are created automatically by github when a tag is pushed to
> github.  The release tars up the repository at that tag, but then you
> can edit the release page in github (describing the release in more
> detail than in the commit message with markup, if desired),
> and attaching arbitrary files, including binaries, to the release.

Yeah, I saw that feature.

But the process of running bootstrap actually populates the source tree with
extra files and directories.  This seems different to me than simply attaching
extra files to the release.  At the very least, it seems a lot more trouble.

> See, for example, an executable jar we've uploaded to a release in another project I'm working on.
> https://github.com/kurator-org/kurator-akka/releases/tag/v0.3

The jar you've attached to your release appears separate from the source
tarball.  In order to be useful, the bootstrapped files would actually need to
live inside that source tarball.

We could, of course, attach a separate tarball of just the autoconf output,
but then is that much more helpful than telling users "run bootstrap.sh" after
unpacking?