[Xastir-dev] New release coming up soon, old release "regenerated" on Github, call for discussion

David Brooke G6GZH xastir at dbrooke.me.uk
Thu Feb 8 08:00:22 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 11:52:48AM -0700, Tom Russo wrote:

> If you're a package maintainer for any OS, you might start looking into how
> you have to change your package build process to access the Github release
> tarballs instead of SourceForge.

I've made the necessary changes for CRUX.

https://github.com/dbrooke/crux-ports/commit/c8c7b1563752298c432199723dd2a82b8f8d5793

> If you have heartache with how I've done this 2.0.8 recreation and would hate
> to see it perpetuate into all future releases, please let me know so I can
> rethink the procedure.  But I think this is a pretty close simulation of how
> release tarballs on sourceforge were, and should be an easy way for folks to
> grab stable releases without using git.

It seems OK for me and thanks for taking care to include the project
name in the tarball as without that a common download cache directory
fails to work due to name conflicts.

Looking forward to the new release, hopefully I'll only need to bump the
version and set the package release back to 1 for that to work.

Regards,

David G6GZH