[Xastir-dev] New release coming up soon, old release "regenerated" on Github, call for discussion

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Feb 8 09:19:16 PST 2018

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 09:06:24AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > If there is anyone who would like to take on tasks of wiki clean-up (it's
> > pretty stale) and documentation proofreading, please jump on board.
>
> If anyone points out particular pages / sections of pages that need updating I can do some. If they contain install instructions for OS'es I don't use I'd rather not touch them 'cuz I'd just do further damage.

Sadly, I'm unable to spot what's stale very easily --- with the wiki as big
as it is and as many READMEs as we have, it's kind of hard even to look at
them all, much less check the content.

I've taken the approach of starting at README (or README.md as it's now
mainly called, because Github renders it nicely on the main page) and
slowly percolating outward from there to see if anything it says is now a lie,
or if it points to the wrong documents, or if it references Sourceforge, or...

And by the time I've done that, it's usually just easier to fix it myself.  And
I'm running out of steam.

If there are bits of the documentation you know and love (on the Wiki or
in a README.*) then you might want to reread it and see if it still says things
that are true.

I've been cleaning out really old stuff (including some bits of READMEs that
were just cuts-and-pastes from email back in 2003 while we were all working
out one particular issue).  Lotta stuff about "upgrading" Xastir that came
in right around the time of the Great Installation Reorganization that
required existing users to make lots of changes to configuration files or
reindex maps --- that would be completely irrelevant to anyone who has
installed in the 10-15 years since then and just bloated a top-level readme.

> Sorry I haven't been involved much lately: I'm distracted on other projects right now.

Know that feeling.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM