[Xastir-dev] Where to discuss issues? Was: ImageMagick vs. GraphicsMagick

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Feb 16 11:27:11 PST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 09:09:19AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2018, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> >> Moved this to the github discussion. Will that be the regular way to discuss issues now? I confess I'd rather keep the the xastir-dev mailing list for such as that's what it is for.
> >
> > I would prefer that specific issues like this be discussed in specific bug
> > reports, because it is a hell of a lot easier to go back and look over them
> > than it is to sift through mailing list archives.
> >
> > I would really like to see us use github issue tracker better.
>
> Roger. Convinced me. Specific bug reports discussed on Github. General stuff here.

There is another advantage do doing specific issues on github, too.

When you make commits that address the issue, you can add references to
the bug report (e.g. " This commit addresses some of the issues described in
issue #25") and they show up as links to the bug report
in the git commit message when viewed on github.  Also, the commit number
shows up in the bug report when you look at the issue in the
tracker ("This issue referenced in commit..." or some such).

And finally, if you include the words "Closes #25", "Fixes #25", or a few
other variations of that pattern in a git commit message, it automatically
marks the bug report closed.

So this is a good way of encapsulating all the discussion and code change
in a single spot for posterity's sake.  Connecting code changes to discussions
in a simple way is worth the added hassle of having two places to think
about.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM