[Xastir-dev] Value of "compilation date" in a source-built Xastir?

David Brooke G6GZH xastir at dbrooke.me.uk
Mon Feb 19 14:55:10 PST 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 02:35:51PM -0700, Tom Russo wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 08:16:31PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <godfreja at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > I could see a slight use case for the date when running with uncommitted
> > code,
>
> Agreed, this has occurred to me, as the git sha1 hash won't reflect that
> you're running modified code.  But in this case, the person interested in

Maybe look at using 'git describe' to provide the entry for the about
box?

For example, I've used 'git describe --always --dirty=+' which appends a
+ if the build is from uncommitted sources.

Check 'git help describe' for lots of other options.

I see no particular reason to keep the date.

David G6GZH