[Xastir-dev] Looking for some volunteers to test some modifications

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jan 19 01:15:12 PST 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 05:39:13PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <godfreja at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello.
>
> I am looking for some volunteers to test out some changes I made to xastir
> before I submit a pull request. Specifically I added IPv6 support for
> APRS-IS connections, but you do not need to have IPv6 to test the changes.
> The main thing I want is to make sure I didn't break something for anybody.
>
> If you want to give it a try you can:
> git clone https://github.com/godfreja/Xastir.git
> cd Xastir/
> git checkout ipv6client
> and then build xastir from that directory as you would normally.
>
> Testers with IPv4 are useful as I want to make sure that I didn't cause any
> problems for them. If you have IPv6 and want to try that would also be
> great.
>
> If you give it a try, please let me know what platform you ran on and if
> you encountered any problems.

Running now (ipv4 on FreeBSD, connected to firenet).  So far, so good.
Will let it run overnight and report if there are any problems.

BTW, while you can definitely test things out using the git approach Jason
suggests, it does mean cloning an entire second repo.  That is not actually
necessary, and you can check this out just by checking out the branch from
Jason's repo into your existing clone of Xastir from the project repo.

The process is part of what is suggested by github for merging pull requests
from the command line.

0) cd to where you have the regular Xastir clone already
1) git pull  (to make sure master is up to date)
2) git checkout -b godfreja-ipv6client    (creates a new local branch, switches
                                           to it.  This is still the same
                                           code as master, with a different
                                           name at this step)
3) git pull https://github.com/godfreja/Xastir.git ipv6client
                                          (This pulls the ipv6client branch
                                           from Jason's repo into your local
                                           godfreja-ipv6client branch, and
                                           only those two commits, not the
                                           entire repo)

    (You can see that you've got Jason's branch and that master is untouched
     by doing "git log --oneline --all --decorate --graph", which will
     show godfreja-ipv6client two commits ahead of master, if you've done
     this right).

Now build Xastir and test it (./bootstrap.sh will be required first, because
Jason's changes touch a Makefile.am).

When you're done testing, you can recover the original master branch just by
doing:
   git checkout master    (gets you back the unmodified code)
   ./bootstrap.sh
   <then do a build as usual>

You can also discard your local branch if you like, when you're done testing:
   git checkout master
   git branch -d godfreja-ipv6client

This is worth doing, especially since it's likely we'll merge this pull request
promptly, and you'll get these changes again that way.

BTW, Jason, before you make your pull request, you might want to make sure to
"git rm" the files you're removing from the build (hostname.c and hostname.h),
rather than leave unused files in the repo.  Might also want to clean up any
whitespace errors that git complains about (highlighted red in "git log -p").